About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Moved to Tears

Has a song ever left you crying? Lyrics would never affect me that way until I became a mother. Now even some of the Bob and Larry Silly Songs will leave me sniffling. Remember that old Folgers commercial? The one where the college-age son returns home for a surprise visit on Christmas morning. He starts a pot of coffee to wake the family up and everyone is happy and crying. The lyrics to that jingle are, "The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your cup!" The funny thing is I never understood that commercial as a kid and now it gets me every time. (even though I don't drink coffee!)

This Sunday we had the joy of spending the church service with our Illinois church family and I was thrilled with the song selection. The hymns and praise songs were all focusing on the cross, a subject that is dear to me since I know without the cross I'd be lost. One song in particular left me in tears. I was okay until we got to the 3rd and 4th stanza where the tears welled up and I closed my eyes. I let my church family sing all around me as I listened and reflected. What song was it? "How Deep The Fathers Love For Us". I will post the lyrics at the end of this post.

I guess the part that gets me every time is knowing it was because of me that Jesus suffered so much. My sin caused His death. He took my ugliness and guilt upon Himself and suffered and died. He could have at any point said, "that's enough, I'm done. These people aren't worth this sacrafice." But, He didn't. His love is so great, so hard to understand, that He would die for me.

By the time we got to the 5th stanza I was able to raise my shaky voice in song again, rejoicing at what was accomplished on the cross. Thank you Jesus! Is there a song that makes you cry? Please tell me about it! Here are the words if you have time to read them.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon a cross
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.

It was my sin that held Him there,
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished.

I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart,
His wounds have paid my ransom!

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite songs. Keep blogging, Cheri! So nice to hear your heart.

    -Jesse

    ReplyDelete