I love traditions. They bring so much joy and togetherness to our family. Christmastime has so many traditions, Christmas trees, lights, carols, treats, and of course, our Christmas monkey. (that will have to be saved for another post.) haha! Some traditions belong to everyone, such as the Christmas trees, and others belong to our family alone, such as the Christmas Monkey. On Friday I had the joy of explaining again about our M&M tradition, a tradition that belongs to our family alone.
It all started one Fall as we were carving our very first jack-o-lanterns. Isaac was just a little guy, not even 2 years old. Ever since he was a baby he hated to get his hands messy, but I desperately wanted a picture of him sticking his hand inside the pumpkin to pull out seeds. He absolutely refused to do any such nasty thing, so I tricked him. I poured a few M&M's on a small plate and set it down in the pumpkin. The trick worked like a charm, Isaac put his hand inside to get the candy, and I got my picture. :) I was so happy!
So, every year since then, I make sure I have M&M's ready to eat as we carve our jack-o-lanterns. And Isaac loves knowing this special family tradition started with him. It makes him feel as if he has a special part in our family which of course, he does. Tonight we will carve our pumpkins, roast the seeds, and eat M&M's. We can't wait!

That is great! So does he still not like getting his hands messy? Daniel was the same way. I love that M&M idea. What a special tradition. I'm glad you're blogging. Isn't it fun?
ReplyDeleteAwww - how fun! I'm excited that you're blogging! But let me tell you it's SOOOOO addictive! :0) Can't wait to see what else you have to blog about!
ReplyDeleteI also love traditions! Can't wait to start a few with my little family. Great job with your first post. I've thought of starting a blog too because I LOVE writing. Since I can't teach writing anymore, I might as well do a little myself. :)
ReplyDelete