I wrote this a few weeks ago...and now I get to post it! :)
Today I was thinking about Grandma again. I probably won't ever be able to think of her without crying fresh tears. I miss her. And I have to concentrate really hard to hear her voice anymore. She's been gone for almost 4 years now. I remember such sweet things about her, some funny things about her, and also some not so nice things about her. We're all sinners, right? And she'd be the first to admit that.
Grandma loved her Jesus. She was always praying, always seeking His will, always studying her Bible. She loved her family: husband, kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. She was a strong woman, a submissive woman, a loving woman. Grandma never locked her doors and her snack cabinet was always full of goodies. She always listened, always encouraged, always shared Bible verses and advice.
My mom is also a strong woman. She's little, but she packs a lot of punch. I grew up thinking Momma could do anything and I always wanted to be like her. I was thrilled when I was tall enough to share her clothes, and old enough to be her friend. We did a lot together: shopping, laughing, crying. Unfortunately I went through a stage where she didn't know very much, but the older I got, the more I realized she DID know. hehe.
Momma is my source of comfort. Whenever I have a baby I want my mommy. Whenever I am sick, I want her to come over and take care of me. It means the world to me when I know Momma is praying for me and I am always thrilled when she calls.
What do these two women share in common? Why am I mentioning both my mom and grandma in my blog entitiled "What's in a name?" Well, they share an aweful lot in common since they are mother and daughter, but the one thing I want to tell you is they both have the same middle name. And in a few days, my little girl will also have their middle name.
It brings me such joy to be able to give my daughter a name that will represent both my grandma and my mom. I will be proud to call her by that name, although since it's a middle name, I will probably only use it when she's in trouble. Funny how that works! I'm sure I will cry as they hand her to me and I think about the women who inspired me enough to use their name. I have been praying that God would give me a small piece of Grandma in this child....eye color...her laughter...anything that will remind me of her.
So, what's in a name? I don't know about all names, but this one reminds me of strength, sumbmissivness, love, devotion, and so much more. I wish Grandma could be here to see her little name-sake. I thought of using Grandma's first name, Clara, but Grandma hated her name. I couldn't name her great-grandaughter Clara, a name that she hated! In fact, Grandma never went by Clara. Most people knew her by her middle name. (Besides, can you imagine having a Chloe and a Clara? We would be getting the two mixed up all the time!) And I know my mom feels honored to have us use her middle name. I'm so thankful for these two women who have taught me so much through their examples, faith, and love.
Welcome to our family, Gracia Jean. <3

You made me cry! That was beautiful. And a beautiful middle name. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful, meaningful name. Love it! Congrats, Cheri!
ReplyDelete