I think you are all aware of the fact that I have contractions for months on end before the baby is actually ready to come. It's these contractions that cause alarm and concern forcing me to go on bedrest, to "take it easy", and to basically become a lady of leisure for a few months. Praise God I didn't need bed rest this time!
So anyway, Thursday night I decided I was tired of being PG and didn't really enjoy being over-due, but I was starting to accept the fact that I might be PG forever. A movie had come from Netflix, so my parents, Greg and I went downstairs to watch it after the kids had gone to bed. While they watched the first half hour, I walked on the treadmill. As soon as I sat down, I started having some "braxton hicks" every 5 minutes. They tapered off after an hour and I discredited them as being just like all the others. They didn't mean anything.
Of course, they do mean something. Just the day before, I learned I was dilated to 4. They were actually doing something, even if I wasn't in active labor.
At 11pm, Greg and I headed to bed. I had a bigger, longer contraction at 10pm, one at 10:45, and one at 11:10 or so. I started thinking these might be the ones I want to time. And then right around 11:15, I heard and felt my water break. It took a moment for it to come, so I wasn't sure it was my water, but I couldn't imagine what else that could have been. Soon, it was confirmed and I woke Greg up telling him my water broke.
Poor Greg! He had just fallen asleep. Do you sleep hardest during the first few hours like we do? Greg was OUT! And upon hearing the news, he had a rush of adrenaline or something because his heart was racing and he was rushing downstairs letting Daddy and Momma know my water had broken. What excitement as I grabbed my over-night bag that had been packed for 3 weeks, put on my shoes and grabbed the camera. :)
We got to the hospital at 11:45, or close to that time, and when the nurses heard my water had broken, they wasted no time in getting us into a room and settled. They called the Dr. who knew I always deliver quickly, and he was soon on the way. My contractions got really bad, almost unbearable as I lay there and I started crying. At first I could breathe through them, but soon I would panic when the next one would hit. It was at this time that the anesthesiologist came and asked what type of pain medication I wanted. I had planned to just go with the intra-thecal shot, it's like an epidural, only it's not as long lasting and quicker to administer. I remembered having it with Isaac and it had worn off as I was beginning to push. Combine that thought with the fact that I was experiencing extreme pain......I went with the epidural.
Andy was amazing, he had that epidural in place in 4 minutes. He is my new best friend. (I say that about all my anesthesiologists!) It took longer than I expected for the epidural to kick in. I probably had 3 or 4 more good sized contractions before I started to feel relief, but when the numbness came, it came hard. I probably asked for too much medication because I couldn't feel much. Thankfully I could feel the pressure of wanting to push, which came only a short while later.
I told the nurse I was ready to push and she called the Dr. in. He checked my cervix and said it was complete and told me when I felt the next pressure I could push. It was at the time that I looked up at the clock to see how I was doing, and that silly thing was being so crazy! The minute hand was going around so fast, just spinning there, and I knew I had too much medicine in me then! I asked "What is wrong with the clock? Or is it me???" Everyone laughed and the nurse explained it was an atomic clock that re-sets itself sometimes. (At least I think that was her explanation....)
It was only a minute or so later that I wanted to push and so they said to go ahead. I gave one good push and her head was out. I checked to see if the Dr. was ready to catch and gave one more (gentler) push and she was born. She immediately started crying and they laid her on my tummy and wrapped her up to warm her. She was little, but not too little. Just smaller than all my other babies. Gracia Jean was here. Born at 2:07am, a little less than 3 hours after my water had broken.
The nurse that was helping me deliver was amazed and said, "I have never seen it happen so fast, how about you guys?" The Dr. even said he had never seen it so fast, and I remember he had turned to the young dr who had come to observe and had said, "It never happens this fast." haha! I told them that was how God rewards me for having such problems for so long.....I get to have super fast deliveries. Of course, I know with it being my 4th child, it was going to happen faster than normal. But, I do feel God blessed me with a fast delivery for each of my children.
You may be wondering how to pronounce Gracia. it's like this: Gray-shu The first time I had heard it, it was when Gracia Burnham and her husband were missionaries that had been taken prisoner. You can read her book if you haven't already. Her husband was eventually killed, but she survived. I loved her name and always wanted to use it for one of my babies. It was even on our list when we named Chloe. :) Greg and I searched for a long time for a name for this child.....looked through literally tens of thousands of names online and in books when I finally remembered Gracia. Greg liked it and so there you have it. :)
Now little Gracia is proving she knows exactly what her jobs are. She is eating and filling diapers like a pro and loves to be held. I could brag about her for a long time! She's so cute and squeezable! It will be fun to take her home, the kids are so excited to welcome their little sister!
I promise to upload more pictures as soon as I can. :)

I was wondering on how to pronounce her name and I thought it was probably from Gracia Burnham but I'm still confused - is it gray-sha or gray-shoe? :0)
ReplyDeleteLove your post, what a beautiful story
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new baby girl! She sounds so cute and precious like all babies!
Love her name, it's sounds so unique and beautiful, but I'm a little confused how to pronounce it correctly.
Yay! I'm so glad you posted her story. I loved reading it, and I was teary-eyed by the second paragraph.
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you, Cheri.
I love the part about the clock! Funny how those little things stay with you. Thanks for posting her story. Congratulations.... again!!! :)
ReplyDelete