About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Monday, January 23, 2012

My Twenties

I'm sure that everyone does this.  They stand at one end of a decade and look back over the last 10 years...or 20...or 30 depending... for a time of reflection.  What do we see?  What do we regret or rejoice about?  What do we remember most about that decade?

For me, I turn 30 tomorrow. It's funny to think about when I was a child and watching my parents enter their thirties.  Man, I thought that was old!  But now, it's not so old anymore.  I mean, didn't we as a culture decide that the age of adolescents is now until the person turns 30?  And 30 is the new 20, right?  Besides, I don't FEEL old!  No, thirty is MUCH younger than it used to be!  (enter sarcasm!)

Now, I'm NOT bemoaning the fact that I am turning 30.  I'm actually eager to just get it over with.  Turn the big 3-0 so to speak.  I'm tired of dreading it, of anticipating it, and so forth.  Bring it on!  I've told Greg on many occasions that I truly believe our 30's are going to rock.  Of course I will be rocking the 30's for a full year and a day before Greg does.  Lucky me.(Again, add sarcasm)  We're going to be having so much fun with our family, hopefully God will bless us with good health, and I'm finally going to get back into my favorite pre-pregnancy jeans!  WooHoo!  Bring on the new decade!  (No sarcasm there!)

But, I AM reflecting tonight, looking back over the last 10 years.  I see our wedding and those early months of wedded bliss. I  see the birth of each of my children, and the thousands of times I sat down to give them the best possible nourishment for their first year of life.  I see the first steps, the first teeth after weeks/months of suffering with sore gums, the first owies.  The hugs, the bedtime prayers, the "helpers" in the kitchen.  :)  Praise God that I am still enjoying these things now since my children are still young!

I see our first house...and our second house...our third house.  I see our first car (which amazingly is still ours! GO MAZDA!)  The friends along the way, the family who guides and supports.  I see a loving husband who has always displayed an unending patience and love towards me.

But I also see the loved ones who have gone to heaven, the baby I lost, the tears, the pain, the times we didn't know what else to do....but you know what else I see?  God's hand through it all.  He told us we would have troubles in this world, and even though I am still young, I have seen some troubles.  But God also promises to be here with us, and I have seen enough to know that He is faithful.  He provides, He comforts, He protects.  His promises are true!  No matter what age we are.  He is ageless.

And so I say, "Hello 30!" as I am soaking my tired muscles in my jacuzzi and looking in amazement at all my gray hairs....but hey!  I have earned each and every sore spot and each strand of silver.  Let's see what's in store for the next 10 years!  My 20's were awesome and I'm excited to see how the next decade turns out!

How did you feel the last time you turned a new decade?

PS.  I wasn't so positive when I turned 25, oh my.  My life was at least 1/4 over by that point and I really struggled.  Isn't that silly?  We can't help how old we are, we can only help our attitudes about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment