About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Weigh in Wednesday, week 6

WooHoo!  I lost a pound!  I broke through 141 and am now at 140.  Yay!  One pound a week is a healthy amount to lose, so I am happy with this.

And now the not so fun part.  I need to get rid of the scale.  It's become an idol for me.  Did you see this one coming?  You probably did!  I think in the back of my mind I did too, but I allowed it to control my emotions.  One day I'd get on and would be happy with the number. Other times I would get on and be disappointed.  These feelings went with me throughout the day.

I've decided that I will weigh once a week....right before my weigh in Wednesday posts, so that my current weight will be news to me too.  I do not need to dwell on ounces lost or gained.  I need to dwell on my relationship with God, my husband, my kids.  I found it difficult to do those things when I was constantly thinking, "This cookie is 80 calories."

Now, I'm still making diet and exercise a priority.  (When I use the word "diet" I mean my lifestyle.  Not just something I do to lose a few pounds.  Healthy eating is my diet.)  But my scale no longer gets priority.

It's going to be HARD to not hop on the scale whenever I want, and for that reason, I think I will give Greg the scale and he can hide it for me.  haha! 

So, I'm wondering if any of you have ever dealt with this too and what you did to have victory over it.  And in parting, here are some of my favorite words of wisdom and humor from some of my friends during the past couple of weeks.

"Bad scale, BAD!"

"God doesn't care about the number on the scale."

"Don't deprive yourself."


2 comments:

  1. I have had to do the same thing in the past, Cheri. When I would step on every day (sometimes several times a day) and just get so discouraged. Weight loss is a process that takes time, and like anything else it can become an obsession. Good for you, Cheri. And congrats on the pound lost!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, You got some pretty smart and funny friends. Ha Ha I have not stepped on the scale since before Christmas. I know that if I do it will depress me more than I already am. So what happens when you're afraid of the scale? That's probably almost the same. Letting it control me. Ugh! Maybe I'll just get on in the morning. Write down whatever number comes up and then just get on with it.
    Your positive Can-Do attitude shined in this post. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete