Last night we all sat down to dinner just like we do every evening. I was excited to put a meal on the table that most everyone would enjoy. Chloe is going through a stage where she won't eat anything, ugh. But, I knew that Isaac would be especially happy with the menu - Ham Stuffed Manicotti. Can we say "Yum-o"?
About half way through our meal I glanced over at Isaac who looked as if he were about to cry. I asked him what was wrong, thinking he had decided he didn't like this dish after all. And that is when I got the biggest shock, scare, and sense of relief of my life. He had been choking on a chunk of noodle. The worst part of it for me is that both Greg and I were there...at the same table...and neither of us had been aware of his struggle.
From what Isaac said, the noodle was stuck in his throat and he tried to get it out with his fingers, which I noticed had pieces of noodles stuck on them from his attempts. But, the noodle broke off and he couldn't get to the rest of it. Then he gagged the rest up. I'm sorry if this is all TMI, but I feel the need to talk this through.
While this was extremely distressing to us, it was a great opportunity to talk to the children about choking, how to help someone who is choking, and what to do if they themselves are choking We told the kids that if this ever happens, they need to bang on the table, stomp their feet...anything to get our attention. Because as Isaac learned, you can't talk when you are choking.
While Isaac was describing what happened, I rushed over and hugged him and told him I was so sorry I hadn't noticed he was in trouble. I am so thankful he is okay, and this has definitely taught me to be more attentive. Thank you, God.
By the way, Isaac did not eat another bite of his dinner, nor his dessert. It's a good thing he was on to his second helping when this happened!

Yikes! That is scary. Glad he is well. I'll have to talk to my kids about choking and getting our attention if/when it happens.
ReplyDeleteSo scary! I'm so glad he's okay!
ReplyDelete