About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Heart break

I'm not going to lie. I came into this Mother's Day with mixed emotions. I don't know why God has allowed me to be more aware of some of my friends lately. But, I have been reading status updates on Facebook, and reading articles, and friends have talked with me about this issue. They can't have babies. It breaks my heart.

Mother's Day is particulary hard for them. One friend said that everyone kept wishing her a happy mother's day, just assuming she was a mother. One friend says she skips church on mother's day because no one understands her grief. Everyone is so focused on those who have children and forget the ones who long to have their own.

I'll never understand why God allows this. My own uncle and aunt couldn't have children and they always grieved over it. But, they decided they would just have to enjoy their neices and nephews as much as possible. And they did. Uncle Steve was my favorite uncle. He has gone to be with Jesus now, but I will never forget the impact he had on my life. God used them in mighty ways through the organization Open Doors. They did things that you wouldn't be able to do if you had kids.

Of course there are stories in the Bible of women who couldn't have children. Hannah is one that I always think of when I am praying for my friends. Back then, it was a horrible thing socially if you didn't provide sons for your husband. Hannah was very grieved when she remained barren while her husbands other wife had many babies. Finally, she poured out her heart to God, promised to dedicate whatever child He gave her back to Him, and God heard her. Not only did He hear her, God answered her prayers with a "yes". Probably all of us are familiar with this story. Samuel was born and was sent to the temple to work with the priest Eli at a young age. And not only that, God then allowed Hannah to have many more children.

Hannahs story ended so happy! I long for the same happy endings for my friends...whether through adoption, or by a miracle baby.

So , while I have been thoroughly enjoying my children this Mother's Day, tucked back in my mind are my dear girlfriends who are silently grieving. My prayers are going to a God whose understanding is so much higher than mine, a God who works all things out for our good if we love Him and are called according to His purpose, and to a God who carries us through our griefs and joys. Will you please help me pray? And please remember your girlfriends whose arms remain empty this Mother's Day.

2 comments:

  1. We were at my parents church this morning and he brought up this very issue. He prayed publicly for all the women for whom mother's day is difficult, either because they are barren, or they don't have a relationship with their own mother for whatever reason (death, illness, estrangement). It was a powerful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my cousins from Colorado has recently become a surrogate for this purpose. She so desperately wants other women (and men) to know the joy of raising children. I think it's a wonderful gift that she's giving.

    ReplyDelete