So the other day I was reading through Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Trip. This is a must read if you have kids. It's a wonderful guide and help that all of us as parents need. Anyway, one of his comments was "if you have young children, you should expect to mop up gallons of milk." Isn't that the truth? I can't tell you how often I have gasped while watching a glass full of the cold, white, good-for-you liquid tipping over.
I had decided early on in this adventure of having children that I was not going to freak out over spilled milk. It's an accident waiting to happen. I've just decided it wasn't worth making the child feel terrible over something so silly.
Of course, that was before milk was almost $4 a gallon. It has taken more patience in recent years when I hear the sloshing, the spilling, the dripping onto the floor, when in the back of my mind I see dollar signs flashing.
I did have a moment that I failed miserably at trying not to freak out over spilled milk. I was 45 weeks pregnant...alright...that was an exaggeration but not by much! Anyway, I was past-due and my parents were here waiting for me to have the baby. The kids were eating their lunch when "Splash!" Milk everywhere. Grumpily I went for the mop to clean up the mess. I don't remember how it happened, but somehow I tipped over another glass of milk in my efforts to clean up the first spill! I was so upset, I let out an "ARG!" and let it known I was NOT happy. Oh boy. Not my most glamorous moment as a mommy.
Anyway, I have learned that milk is going to spill and it's not worth freaking out about. Expect it. Have the mop ready. Show your kids that you can be loving and patient and gracious. I do have them help clean it up, and I do talk with them about being careful.
This quote from Tedd Trip has gotten me to think about other things we learn about having young children. Thus my status updates lately have revolved around that idea. I have thought of so many, I've decided to make a series of status updates that I will post each day. I know you have lots that you can think of too!
I love being a mom, it's quite the adventure! What do you expect as a parent of young children? Let me know and I may use your idea in one of my status updates! :)

Cheri,
ReplyDeleteThis is so true. I remember a speaker at MOPS saying that children do "childish" things, which includes spilling things. The speaker said it's important not to become angry or punish them for doing something that is just a childish mistake vs. outright disobedience. I.E: spilling a cup of milk. I also think showing frustration is okay from time to time...it lets our kids know we are human. But I also think that when we lose our tempers with out just cause, we need to apologize to our children. Great post...love to read your thoughts on motherhood. Very helpful to an amateur like myself. :)
How true! :)
ReplyDelete