By now everyone knows Whitney Houston has died at age 48. Earlier this week Greg had an uncle, 49, who also died very unexpectedly. 48 and 49. These are the exact ages of my Momma and Daddy. The suddenness of death can take us by surprise. We aren't expecting it, we think we are young, we think we are healthy. But are we really?
The Bible says "teach us to number our days that we might gain a heart of wisdom." So many times, especially in the night, I am reminded how short life really is. Even if we live to a ripe old age, our lives are still compared to grass that withers and vapors in the air. Our years on this earth are but a moment in light of eternity.
Can you imagine how long FOREVER is? We think we have all the time in the world, doing the things we love, striving for goals, buying all sorts of toys. We think this will never end. We make plans, we pursue dreams. But guess what? We can't take all those things we love, all our goals, and all our toys into eternity with us. Soon our lives will be over and our loved ones will be left to sort through the things we found so important.
Many times as I am lying in bed waiting for sleep to claim me, I think back over the day and count how many times I had a short temper with one of the kids. I cringe as I recall a rough tone or a rolling of the eyes on my part as I listened impatiently to yet another childish story. Then my thoughts go to how little the kids were last year and how fast time is going. I realize I have wasted another day on my selfish desires. Another day I will never get back. Another day gone FOREVER. And what have I done to reach out to others who need Jesus?
Teach us to number our days.
I recently told Greg that I was resolving to be a better mother. I don't know how long I have on this earth, but whenever it's my time to go to Jesus, I want my kids to remember a nice mommy. I want them to remember a patient, loving, nurturing mom who listened to their stories. Who took time to scratch their backs at bedtime and sing them their favorite songs. I want them to look back fondly and be filled with joy as they remember the extra time I took to indulge in their favorite activities.
Even if I don't leave this earth early, these childhood memories we are building are going to shape my children for the rest of their lives. I only have so many days with each child before they are packing up their things and entering the big world for themselves. I only have so many opportunities to build forts in the living room and swing from the trees on a rope. My kids will remember.
My kids will remember if I am a grumpy mommy or a cheerful one. They will recall how I handled their sin, how I handled MY sin. Teach us... Sounds heavy, doesn't it?
And on a different note, how much time do I spend online? How much time do I spend in prayer? How much time to I spend playing with the kids? A death always brings a new perspective, doesn't it? No one ever writes this on their tombstone: "I wish I had spent more time online."
And so I strive to live life better. I only have one life to live and I want to spend it wisely. How about you? How do you balance your life? How are you doing with numbering your days? Let me know how I can pray for you!

No comments:
Post a Comment