I noticed this morning that all my blog posts lately have been the weigh-in-wednesdays, which would lead one to believe that this is all I think about! lol But, it's simply that I haven't had time to write anything else and so this is all I get put together.
ANYWAY, I am excited to share with you that I lost a pound last week! I'm now at 136.4. You wanna know the real funny thing?
I stopped caring.
Yep, I stopped caring. Earlier this week I was very discouraged when I found out I weighed the same 137 that I have been at for a few weeks. After all that hard work, all that running, all that Jillian! Even my measurements were not changing. I started to feel like there was something wrong with me. Maybe an illness, hormonal issues, or something more serious. I was so discouraged, I didn't want to weigh in anymore. I didn't care. I still worked out, I still ate healthily, but my weight was just a number.
I contemplated changing up my eating. I've been striving for a 1200 calorie diet and most days I am right on. (I do add more calories for work-out days!!) I've been counting these calories for at least a month or 6 weeks, why am I not seeing a difference? Am I in this starvation mode I hear so much about?! I actually googled it and found that the whole thing is possibly a myth! While it's true that your matabolism slows down, there's not a lot of proof that you enter a state known as "starvation mode" when you eat too few calories. So, I'm not sure that is even real. I want to do more research on that.....I do know that eating too few calories is dangerous though, and so I won't go below 1200.
So how could I change my eating when I was already eating the fewest calories possible? Atkins. I have to say, I considered this for a whole 2 hours before I turned from it knowing it wasn't a healthy way to lose weight. I read.... I signed up for their newsletter.... I talked with my mom..... and I decided that it's not only unhealthy, it can be dangerous for some people. My family has a history of heart problems. Start feeding someone like me a ton of bacon and no fruits and you've got a good combination for some health problems. So, that's out.
So I'm going to keep on counting. (Chloe learned how to count to 1,000 this week! Just a side note.)
There was a point this week that I thought about cancelling Weigh In Wednesday. I mean, I wasn't seeing any progress and I was tired of posting all the side benefits. I mean, how mean how many times can I say, "I feel healthier!" ? So I was trying to come up with a positive way to end it, or possibly change it so that it didn't focus on weight, but simply being healthy. I'm still working on this idea and you may see some changes by next weeks post.
This morning, I asked Greg for my scale and went and weighed in. Before I got on, I said, "I'm not expecting anything. (In a grumpy, early morning tone.) And that is when I found I lost a pound. You know what? I'm happy about it, but it's not as thrilling as I thought it would be. It truly has stopped mattering to me so much. And maybe that is the lesson I've been needing to learn all along.
What lessons are you learning on your journey? What are your goals this week?

Woo Hoo! Yay for the pound and extra Yay for not caring so much about the number on the scale. My mom and dad are on their own 'Modified Atkins' of sorts. My dad had a heart attack about 6 years ago. He asked his dr last week about the Atkins and admitted that he had started it way back 6+ years ago and didn't stick to it. Dr. told him if he had stuck with it he probably wouldn't have had the heart attack. Funny that I just heard that from my mom today and then I read your post. I don't know if I'd like the Atkins, but maybe a modified.
ReplyDeleteWe drove out to Fruita to pick up my FREE treadmill from a friend. It's about 4 years old but she didn't use it a whole lot. We have it in the kitchen and are wondering about how to get it downstairs. I'm super excited because I am FINALLY feeling better, as of today, and would love to take it for a spin in the morning. :)
Good job, girl! Way to stay motivated and thanks for motivating me and so many others.