About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My hardest crochet project, the final push

Excitement is running through me as I approach the end of my hardest crochet project.  I have 53 rows left, but who's counting?!  LOL  If I had known this pattern would be so difficult and LONG, I probably would have thought twice about buying the pattern.

The pattern itself was something I stumbled upon when I was looking for different ways to crochet.  It only cost around 4 bucks, so I bought it knowing that my youngest son, Jeremy, would love the blanket.

I began working on it almost right away and discovered that even though it looked fairly easy, it was going to be one of the longest and hardest things I've ever made.  What started off as an exciting new technique soon turned into a heavy dread of something I HAD to finish.  It spent a few months under my chair until I realized I would just have to drag it out and slowly work each day if I were going to accomplish anything. I've learned a lot through the process which is good, but I'm not sure I will be doing this type of crochet ever again!  LOL

Anyway, I am nearing the end and already my heart beats faster when I think about stitching the final row.  I am excited to "finish off" this project and go on to the next.  As I sit and crochet furiously in a final push, I am dreaming of what to do with all my extra time.  I devote about an hour to Thomas each day.  I could be using that hour in a multitude of other ways.  But, it's worth it.  Jeremy walks in and his eyes light up when he sees the progress.  He starts talking about using the blanket on his bed and how nice and warm it is.  And all the hours of sitting on the floor (with 6 strands of yarn constantly getting tangled with each stitch) melts away.  I know I am making something Jeremy will treasure and that makes it worth it. 

Hopefully the next photo you see of Thomas the Tank Engine will be of the finished project.  What is the hardest/longest project you have ever done?  Did you feel a major sense of accomplishment when you finished?  (It doesn't have to be crochet, it can be any project you've done!)

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome blanket! I am super impressed, not only with how much fun it looks, but that you persisted through it! I definitely have a couple of things like this that I need to fish out of my "craft closet" and get after.

    ReplyDelete