I kept waking up about every 1/2 hour to see if it was time to get up yet. I knew I had set the alarm, but I didn't want it to wake up Gracia who was sharing a room with us. At last it was 5:30, time to get up. I quickly got dressed in the darkness, thankful I had set my racing clothes out the night before. Nothing fancy, just some shorts and t-shirt. I can't seem to get myself to splurge and buy those fancy running outfits. I brushed my hair and teeth and headed upstairs.
After a quick breakfast consisting of carbs and water, Rachel, Tedd, Karen, and I headed off to Quincy where the race was being held. This was the 12 annual Bridge the Gap race which covered two or three bridges depending how far you ran. The weather was PERFECT for a run. It was cloudy, so we didn't get too hot in the sun. There was a nice, breeze the whole way, and the temp was awesome.
 |
| Here I am with Rachel and Tedd who both did awesome! |
 |
| Lining up, I think I smiled like this for the first 2 miles. LOL |
 |
| He may be little, but this cannon is LOUD and caused a few screams when it went off. |
 |
| Where's Waldo? |
 |
| This was the first bridge to cross. It had a fabulous steady incline and an incredible decline. Awesome for picking up time. :) It was a little tricky to pass people, but I found if I stayed on the edge, I was able to get around. |
 |
| Coming in for the finish! I did not do a "final push" because it was hard to see how far away the finish line was. It was around a corner and I didn't want to start my final push only to discover the finish was much farther away than I thought. I didn't want to burn out before I crossed the finish line. |
 |
| BWAHAHAHA! I love this photo because this is actually an Olympic runner giving me my medal. Honestly, that IS me! |
 |
| A normal person would perhaps not post a picture of themselves looking like this, but I think it is HILARIOUS! I just laugh every time I see it. I refer to this photo as my "Runner's High" picture. :) I felt GREAT after that run! |
 |
| Rachel, Tedd, and me with our medals |
|
|
|
All along the race I was doing great, I was passing people, I was feeling good. My knee wasn't hurting, etc. And then I came to mile 5 and two ladies - WHO WERE TALKING - were coming up behind me and I knew I had a choice. Let them pass, or try my hardest to stay ahead of them. I could hear them telling their ages, each one was in their 30's. I wanted to yell back, "Yeah, well I'm 30 and have 4 kids!" But I couldn't because each breath was being used just to keep me running. Seriously, who talks while they are running?! I mean, these two ladies were chatting up a storm! They got closer and closer, and I finally decided to let them pass me. And while doing so, I told myself, "I'm not in this to win, I'm in this to do my personal best."
Looking back, I know that if I had stayed up with them, I would have finished 1 or 2 minutes sooner, but hey! I gave it my all on that race and I am proud to say that I did get a new personal best! I shaved a whole minute off my last time! I ran the race in 53 minutes 5 seconds. That was an 8:30 mile! WOW! Not bad for this 30 year old mother of 4! I found out after we got home that I actually came in 4th in my division. That was good enough for an award, but I probably won't get it because I left before the award ceremony. I never dreamed I'd win anything with my first race.
As soon as I was crossing the finish line, I was thinking, "When is the next race?!" It was an amazing morning, and experience I'll never forget. I'm so thankful I was able to participate! Thanks for following my journey. I registered for this race....to do the 5k....back in January. I never thought I'd be at the point where I'd be calling them asking if I could change it to a 10k! And I certainly never dreamed I'd run it so quickly and actually ENJOY it. This is proof that someone who once HATED running can indeed develop a
love passion for the exercise.
Won't you join me? Maybe there is a race in your area you're thinking of joining?! I'd LOVE to cheer you on!
No comments:
Post a Comment