I am keenly aware as I go through my day that I have 4 children looking to me to be their example. I am being watched, listened to, and copied even when I don't realize it. 2 boys and 2 girls are looking to me to show them how to live, how to love, how to serve. The most important thing I want my kids to witness me doing is loving God with all my heart, mind, and strength. I want them to walk in on me while I am on my knees. I want my kids to hear me pray, hear me praise, hear me ask God for help. I want them to see me reading my Bible, hear His Words spill from my heart as we walk along the way. I want to constantly point them to Jesus. I want my kids to not only witness my faith, but to have that faith for themselves.
And as I go through my days, I want my kids to see how I love their daddy. I want them to hear me talk kindly about him and to him. I want my kids to walk in as we're sneaking a quick smooch or embracing after a long day. I want them to see our example as a loving couple who will never quit, but walk through any trial and joy, hand in hand. I pray they not only witness my love for their daddy, but will one day have a love like this one day for themselves.
There is always so much to do, so little time: cooking, cleaning, running here and there. There is school, feeding the baby: my hands are never done working. And I am reminded of 8 little hands eager to do as I do whether good or bad. Their hands are busy too and it's up to Greg and me to show them how to use them wisely. How to gently touch others, how to faithfully do their work, how to look up Bible verses. It's our job to teach them how to use their hands to serve, to play well with others.
My feet often hurt at the end of the day reminding me of the 4 pairs of feet that followed me through the house, the store, church. Forty toes eager to go where I go, jumping, skipping, running along the way. They follow in my footsteps...in Greg's footsteps...and it's up to us to show them the way in which they should go. We pray for God to direct their steps, to guide them along the path they should go.
I could go on all day, thinking about the eyes that want to see the things we see. The mouths that will undoubtedly say what our mouths are saying! The use of time, the use of energy. God has entrusted Greg and me with 4 children who need guidance, direction, love and attention. Forty fingers and forty toes. 4 pairs of ears, 4 sets of eyes. All focused on us, all taking in everything we do. What a responsibility! We will fall sometimes, we will fail. Praise God that these same 4 children will watch us stand back up, forgive and be forgiven, and go on. And praise God we're not doing this alone. God is helping us!
May we all look to God for direction as we guide our children along.

Love, love, LOVE this post!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThis brings tears to my eyes...
ReplyDelete