It was a hot August day, I was 3 months pregnant, we had just arrived the night before. It had been our first night in Iowa and the movers were coming with our things. Thankfully we had stayed in a hotel that night since all our beds, blankets, and pillows were on those moving trucks. We came to the house early since the movers were coming at 9.
And when they came, they CAME. They brought in box after box and furniture galore. It's amazing what one family can accumulate in 9 years, despite my best efforts to "thin it out" before we moved. We directed as best as we could, and to be honest with you, most of the furniture remains right where they set it.
Somewhere in all the chaos, my friend, Ann Stringer and her family came by to help. I would not have been able to do near as much work without her help. She helped unpack and put things away, I tell you what, she was awesome! I can still picture us in the kitchen with piles of boxes and packing paper as high as we could reach. We were laughing and talking and catching up. She was so cheerful and helpful and she was there for me.
Around lunch time, she must have sensed that I was tired, hungry, and a bit emotional. She basically pushed me out the door, along with Greg's help, and showed me how to get to the town of Knoxville. She rode with me to Dairy Queen, all along the way pointing out different stores, churches, and giving me basic directions. I would have been lost without her!
Ann and I were friends long before our move to Iowa. She and Sam came to Rushville, Illinois a several years prior, and helped out with the youth group in our church there. They became part of our young couples Bible study and we hit it off really well. Ann has a personality that gets along with everyone. She will be a great pastor's wife! Anyway, we were really sad when Sam and Ann moved to Iowa. We even teased them about it, "Who would want to move to Iowa?" We were sad, but we helped load the truck that day and sent them off. It felt really strange when we as a church voted to remove them from our membership because they moved and became members of another church.
I am really thankful God allowed Ann to be here when WE moved to Iowa. It was very comforting to know that we had friends so close. They only live about 20 minutes away! There was one day during my pregnancy that I received some upsetting news. I couldn't stop crying, so I called Ann and poured out my heart to her. She listened and asked if I wanted her to come by. I said, "no, I'll be fine," Guess who showed up on my door step 20 minutes later? She sat with me and talked and encouraged me. I'll never forget that.
Sam and Ann were always available to watch our kids or come over to visit, we watched their kids once in awhile. We would eat dinner at each other's houses, etc. We tried to get together more often, but you know how it is. You can live in the same town with someone and never get over to their house for a visit. I wish we could have spent more time together, but I am thankful for the times we did have!
And now, as I type this, my friend Ann is packing up and moving to Illinois. Who wants to move to Illinois? Just kidding. That was my sad effort at lightening up the mood. Anyway, I am sad and yet I am excited for them. She is going to make a fantastic pastor's wife! They have been waiting for a couple years for a church. They have had several churches show interest, have them come visit, to preach, etc. And this one asked them to come. They are answering the call, they are following God's direction.
More than anything I wish I could be there to help Ann the same way she helped me. I want to hug her, to encourage her, to laugh with her, to see her once more. But, my kids are still sniffly this week, and it's too cold to take Gracia this morning. So, I am here praying and remembering. And I'm thanking God for email, cell phones, and Facebook. And I'm thanking God for dear friends who will be missed. Who knows? Maybe one day we will live closer again. And we do visit Illinois often, so we'll make sure we visit them soon. :)

Oh, Cheri. What a blessing to have been near her for a short time. I'm sure it must be so difficult to see her leave though. I had a friend like that who moved away last summer, and I still miss her so much. But I'm so happy to hear about how God is blessing them where they are. ((hugs))
ReplyDeleteCheri,
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel. I'll be praying for you.