
I often call her Miss Smartie Pants and it gets her giggling every time. During school I will be explaining a new concept to my little learner: phonics, reading, etc. and she will just rattle off the facts, rules, and exceptions to the rules as if she's heard them hundreds of times. And that is when I call her Miss Smartie Pants. She giggles and then we go on.
Chloe is 5 and I have her doing 1st grade work instead of kindergarten. She is more than capable of understanding the material, what she lacks is the ability to sit still. I have often worried she will poke her eye out with her pencil because she has one leg up over the back of her chair and the other leg swinging wildly about. I wish I had a nickle for every time I warned her of this. Poor girl can't help herself, chairs can be so much fun and should be used for much more than just sitting. Like gymnastics for instance.
And while I am teaching her phonics at the easel, Miss. Smartie Pants cannot stand still. She will twirl around releasing her inner ballerina, she will hop on one foot, or do some froggy hops around the room all the while spelling words like "squeal" or "horse". I honestly don't know how she can listen to my teaching while her body is in full motion. But when I ask her, "what did I just say?" she can usually repeat me word for word. Smartie Pants.
Oh and You should see her papers! If I don't keep 'em coming, she gets bored and starts doodling. One math paper was having her tell time, and when I came around to check her work, all the clocks on the page had sprouted arms and legs! And she had the correct times written in the boxes.
Chloe thrives on activities and games during school. She loves putting puzzles together and doing crafts, and so on. I really do try to keep her hands and mind busy!
There are some things she struggles with, like counting money. (Funny...she doesn't have trouble spending what's in her piggy bank) She's definitely getting there, but counting quarters is hard! 25, 50....um...and that is usually how far she gets. But, with a little more practice, Chloe will have it down. And cursive writing is not her strong suit, her letters are often wiggling around as much as she is! This is one time I have started insisting she sit still and I have seen dramatic improvement in her letters.
There are some days Chloe begs to be done with school, or asks if it's break time only 1/2 hour into the day. And these are the times I remind myself that she is only 5 and I let my Miss Smartie Pants go play. After all, we're taking 2 years to go through 1st grade anyway. :)
I would be remiss if I didn't also brag about Isaac. He is also extremely smart, he aces almost every test he takes. WooHoo! But I'll save him for another post....
Chloe is 5 and I have her doing 1st grade work instead of kindergarten. She is more than capable of understanding the material, what she lacks is the ability to sit still. I have often worried she will poke her eye out with her pencil because she has one leg up over the back of her chair and the other leg swinging wildly about. I wish I had a nickle for every time I warned her of this. Poor girl can't help herself, chairs can be so much fun and should be used for much more than just sitting. Like gymnastics for instance.
And while I am teaching her phonics at the easel, Miss. Smartie Pants cannot stand still. She will twirl around releasing her inner ballerina, she will hop on one foot, or do some froggy hops around the room all the while spelling words like "squeal" or "horse". I honestly don't know how she can listen to my teaching while her body is in full motion. But when I ask her, "what did I just say?" she can usually repeat me word for word. Smartie Pants.
Oh and You should see her papers! If I don't keep 'em coming, she gets bored and starts doodling. One math paper was having her tell time, and when I came around to check her work, all the clocks on the page had sprouted arms and legs! And she had the correct times written in the boxes.
Chloe thrives on activities and games during school. She loves putting puzzles together and doing crafts, and so on. I really do try to keep her hands and mind busy!
There are some things she struggles with, like counting money. (Funny...she doesn't have trouble spending what's in her piggy bank) She's definitely getting there, but counting quarters is hard! 25, 50....um...and that is usually how far she gets. But, with a little more practice, Chloe will have it down. And cursive writing is not her strong suit, her letters are often wiggling around as much as she is! This is one time I have started insisting she sit still and I have seen dramatic improvement in her letters.
There are some days Chloe begs to be done with school, or asks if it's break time only 1/2 hour into the day. And these are the times I remind myself that she is only 5 and I let my Miss Smartie Pants go play. After all, we're taking 2 years to go through 1st grade anyway. :)
I would be remiss if I didn't also brag about Isaac. He is also extremely smart, he aces almost every test he takes. WooHoo! But I'll save him for another post....

I LOVE this post! So good! As a former teacher, I can also tell you that I think it's great you are homeschooling her. A teacher may not have the patience for her need to squirm like you do. She will thrive at home with you! What a cutie!
ReplyDelete