About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Am I pathetic?






Okay, so how to empty nesters do it? I am years and years away from facing an empty nest and yet if this past week has taught me anything, it's taught me that it's going to be ROUGH. And not just when the nest is completely empty either, but each time a child leaves home.

Last week we spent Thanksgiving in Illinois with Greg's family. We thought it would be a treat for the kids, and for their Grandma, if each child would stay a few extra days with her. So, Chloe was the 1st who got to stay at Grandma's house. It was hard. We traveled home without her and I kept thinking, "She's only 5, she's going to get homesick, I'm going to miss her," etc. When we got home, it was just me and the boys, and there was a definate void. Don't get me wrong, I had plans for this opportunity to spend more one-on-one time with each son.


Isaac and I got along great and had lots of wonderful conversations. School was a breeze, and we thoroughly enjoyed each other. Jeremy and I had some great times too, that kid is so stinkin' cute!

But, I missed Chloe's huge brown eyes across the dinner table. I missed her chatter and her noises, (she makes more noise than most boys) her laughter and energy. I was thrilled to see her today, and I was thrilled when she said she had missed me. (Yes, it's nice to feel needed.) All to quickly though, I was sending Isaac off for a few days at Grandma's house.


Talk about torn emotions. I was so happy to have my little chatter-box back, and I was sad to send off my 7 year-old son, knowing full well he would be extremely happy and well cared for the entire time.


I love the fact that the kids can go spend time with their grandparents! And they even have some aunts and uncles over there that they can spend valuable time with! Chloe and Ruthy had a great time together, and I know Isaac is thrilled to do some things with Ruth and Uncle Tedd. I know he will enjoy seeing his cat Oliver again and climb trees. I know he will eat very well and have love all around him. But, when I walked into his room tonight and his pillow was gone.....well....I was sad. And the thought hit me that time is going by so fast. Before I know it, my kids will be walking out of my home into the world.


Does this seem extreme? I know, I know. It is a bit much. I am just starting out on this adventure called motherhood. My kids are still young and have lots of years before I need to start thinking this way. Or is it a good thing I am taking the time to step back and look at this? It's good to be reminded how quickly time is going so I can make the most of it. It's so easy to be down in the trenches....cooking, cleaning, schooling, repeating. Over and over. The days pass by and turn into weeks, the weeks turn into months and so on. And before you know it, your kids are older and time has flown by. You're left to wonder where it all went.


So, my lesson out of this: take time to evaluate how I'm spending my precious time with my children, but don't become obsessed with how quickly the time is going. I will make the most of each day, having as much fun as possible. I will be the best mother I can be and make lots of great memories for my kids.

And, Chloe and I do have big plans for our weekend together. We have a date night planned at Dairy Queen, (I take one child out on a date each month, so every 3 months they get a special night with Mom.) we're going to make gingerbread man ornaments, etc. It's going to be a good weekend! Have fun at Grandma's house, Isaac! Love you, Bud!

No comments:

Post a Comment