Do your kids have nicknames? Something that only you call them? Isaac has always been Buddy. Chloe's nickname has changed a bit over the years. I called her Sweetpea for the longest time and then started calling her Honey. For some reason, I have gotten out of the habit of using her nicknames...maybe I'll have to pull out one of these to use again.
Jeremy is my June Bug. Unlike the others, there is a story behind his nickname.
My grandma and I were best friends. During my growing up years, I knew I could tell Grandma (my mom's mother) anything and not be judged. She would give me godly advice, Scripture verses, and pray. She and Grandad would sit every morning, eat their toast, and have their devotions. I knew she prayed for me often, maybe every day. She gave me lots of hugs and her door was never locked. Her cabinets were always filled with my favorite snacks, her roses always bloomed, and she was always smiling.
Later on when I moved away from home, I knew Grandma was only a phone call away. It never failed, if I needed some advice, I'd pick up the phone and she'd be there. And I loved it whenever she'd call me. She had a nack for calling at bad times. LOL Usually it was lunch time and I was getting the kids their lunches. But, I didn't care. If she called, I didn't ever tell her i was busy, I loved talking to her no matter what time it was.
In June 2007, Grandma died. It wasn't unexpected, we all knew she was going to be with the Lord soon. My dad called as I was at a birthday party for Greg's baby sister. He choked on the words, "She's gone." Tears still come to my eyes thinking about that day. I went outside and cried and cried. My best friend was with Jesus now. Greg's family was very loving that day, but for dinner we ate grilled hamburgers and it only served as a reminder of Grandma. She LOVED beef. Especially a good hamburger.
Anyway, at the time, Greg and I had been hoping God would bless us with another baby. It didn't happen and didn't happen. But finally, late summer I took a positive test. When I calculated my due date, it put me into the month of June, the same month Grandma died. I was amazed at the fact that God was going to give me a special gift of life during the month I'd be remembering Grandma and her death the most. I was going to hold, in my arms, a newborn baby during some very difficult weeks.
I decided I wanted a nickname for Jeremy that had his birth month in it so I would always be reminded of God's special gift to me. And so, June Bug was born on June 6th, 2008. I've called him that ever since, and to my amazement, no one else calls him that. I'm secretly happy that they call him other things, the nickname June Bug is all mine.
By the way, I know without a doubt that my Grandma is with Jesus now. Praise God I have the hope of seeing her again one day!

What a sweet story, Cheri. Such a great way to remember your grandmother and the blessing that she was to you.
ReplyDelete