Our 9th anniversary is coming up on Wednesday and that got me thinking of anniversaries in general. I have a few thoughts I'd like to share and if you'd like, I invite you to sit and see if you agree with me. :)
1.) I believe anniversaries are under-celebrated. I mean, this is probably the most special day in a couples' year... a landmark of sorts.... when the husband and wife can celebrate another year of love, hard work, and committment. I always think I should be better at sending a card, calling the couple, or something to show them I am happy for their lasting marriage. But, I don't. If I see it on facebook, I send a quick, "Happy anniversary" and leave it at that. I think it's time I dusted off my stack of cards and started recognizing anniversaries again. :) So, you should let me know when your anniversary is (and address) and I'll see if I'm up to the challenge!
2.) Sometimes simple is better! I wouldn't say we "under-celebrate" our anniversary, but we do simplify it because our anniversary comes at the end of a very expensive month. December. If we had been planning according to how our budget is, we would have probably had the wedding in any other month. haha! But, alas we did not know how our budget would be and we wouldn't have wanted to wait even one more month before tying the knot. So, we try to find inexpensive ways to celebrate and often those are the most memorable and romantic. I love that we don't have to express how much we love each other by how much we spend!
Another reason we do things more simply for our anniversary is because of how many of them I have either been pregnant or nursing. Of our 9 anniversaries, I've been PG for 4 of them and nursing for 3 of them. It's hard to go out overnight or something when you're dealing with morning sickness or attatched to an infant. So again, we find ways to celebrate at home, or something the whole family can do together. (look at wedding photos, play games, watch a movie after the kids are in bed, etc.)
3.) I don't understand why the woman often expects the man to remember the date. I mean, I start talking about our anniversary the week before! And not because I want Greg to remember, but because I am so excited it's coming up! I can't keep it a secret, so it's no trouble for Greg to "remember" the day. I never really understood how the wife could NOT talk about the anniversary coming up, therefore forcing the man to remeber it himself. I suppose some women are better at keeping quiet than I am though. haha!
4.) I think the traditional and modern anniversary 'gifts' are silly. I'm sure you've at least heard of these lists, and I have been guilty of trying to follow them on occassion simply because I am so sentimental. But, I now think they are silly. I mean honestly, who can afford to buy such things each year? You have diamonds, clocks, etc. to commemorate each passing year. Why not be more creative and make something, or spend extra time together? Again, I think simple is better. :) Besides, I could never get Greg on board with these lists. haha!
And now I need to confess that I still do not know what to do for Greg for our anniversary. We have no money left in our budget this month, and after Christmas, my level of creativity is very low. So, if you have any ideas, please let me know!

For our first anniversary, we had a candlelight spaghetti dinner. We put a card table (which we were using as our dinner table) in what we call our "parlor". This room has a stereo in it. I had made a compilation CD of all of "our songs" and we played them on the stereo while we ate our meal...uninterrupted as it was while Gabriel was sleeping. He was almost a month old and was our only child.
ReplyDeleteNowadays, it's hard for ME to remember our anniversary. This year, it really just came and went without me even thinking about it. David got me a card on his way home from work. Our anniversary is November 29. Jacob was born October 7, then Gabriel's birthday November 1, David's birthday December 7, and then Christmas... our anniversary kinda got lost in the chaos. :(