Does anyone else remember that song? I grew up singing that little jingle, "are you ready for some football? Monday night party!?" Recently I sang that to a teen aged boy and he looked at me as if I had just sprouted another head. When did that song go out? At what point in my busyness as a mother did I miss the fact that they don't play that song before Monday night football anymore. In fact, to make matters worse, I'm not even sure they still play football on Monday nights. Oh dear. This is something I must find out ASAP. Don't they play on Thursday nights now? Or was that a rumor I heard several years ago, or maybe a dream? I grew up in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, there was no way I could escape without becoming a die hard Denver Bronco fan. My love for football started when I was a teenager. I would sit and watch football with my dad and brothers. Who am I kidding, to say that I watched it would be a gross understatement. I got excited! I would yell, pump my fists and jump off the couch. If we won, I would have a sense of happiness until the next week's game. If we lost, I would feel disappointed and hang my head. Thankfully, during the years I started to love the Broncos, I didn't have to hang my head often.
They played great! John Elway led the orange and blue to two Superbowl victories, back to back. Everyone loved the Broncos and could clearly see they were the best team in the NFL. Elway, Davis, McCaffree, (Spelling??) aw yes. Those guys knew how to play!
And then I went to college....
I no longer could watch the games, but my dad was faithful in letting me know how our beloved team was doing. I was so busy though that I don't remember anything about how they did that season.
And then I got married and moved to Illinois....
Much to my dismay, the only way I could catch a Bronco game was if they happened to be playing a more local team, the Kansas City Cheifs or St. Louis Rams. And we couldn't get that station at our house, so I'd have to watch it somewhere else. Talk about rough times.
And then I became a mother....
I soon learned there was a lot more to do on Sunday afternoons than sit and watch football. I quickly lost track of my favorite players and how they were doing. I lost track of how many games were won or lost. Almost 8 years have passed by like this and now I don't know what happened to my Monday night football song! I don't know anyone on the team, not even the coach. But, the fact that I cannot miss is how miserably the Broncos are playing in the past few years. But, it doesn't matter, because I still love the Broncos and they are still alive in my football loving heart. They will always be my team, no matter how bad they are. I will always remember the excitement of them winning, and winning, and winning. Thank you Broncos for the memories. I'm still a faithful, loyal, and loving fan, and I still wear my Elway jersey proudly. One day we'll get back our winning-ness!

I don't know the Monday Night Football song either... at least, I don't think I do.
ReplyDeleteDavid would have a similar post about NASCAR. Before he met me, he never missed a race -- even planning his whole Sunday afternoons around it. (Apparently, he was a football junkie, too -- Packers fan -- but I think that was dwindling before we met.) When we got married, we tried to catch the race occasionally and watched several, but it wasn't a "necessity" like it had been. When the kids started coming, there was too much else going on to sit and watch an entire race, or an entire football game. We might catch bits & pieces, and check ESPN to find out who won. Life's funny that way. Priorities have a way of changing. And those are some beautiful priorities to the right of this page. :)