About Me

My photo
First, I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am married to my best friend, and I am a mother to 4 beautiful blessings. I love to crochet and try to make time for it everyday.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's been missing

I have been really busy in the last 10 years. If you're wondering what I have been doing, just look through the pictures posted on this blog, or better yet, go back through and read some of my entries. :) I won't say I have regretted anything I've done in the last ten years because it's all been a journey I have loved being on. There is one thing that has passed me by in the last 10 years though....technology.

Right now, we have the Ipad, the Itouch, the Iphone, and to be honest, I have no idea what any of them do. I have no incentive to buy them because I don't have time to look into them and see why they are better than what I already have. And what's the deal with Aps? Have we as a nation become too lazy to call them what they really are? APPLICATIONS people, they are APPLICATIONS. To my limited knowlege, these are little programs you APPLY to your phone, or whatever gadget you may have. We call them Aps, I don't know why, but we do. But, this talk about abbreviating just leads me to texting and all the abbreviations we use for that.

I have just started texting about a year ago. Right away I learned I needed a phone with a qwerty keypad, and so I am good there. I can understand why you would abbreviate certain words when using a normal phone. It's hard to sit there and hit each key 2 or 3 times to get the right letter! And, it's time consuming! But, for the rest of us who have a qwerty, we shouldn't be so lazy as to abbreviate every word. For goodness sake, this momma can't read most of the texts teenagers send around! There is one I use a lot. LOL. That's about it, I happily let my thumbs type out the rest. lol The worst part about it is when I started using it, I thought it meant Lots Of Love. So I would sign my letters and emails: LOL, Cheri. ugh. And now, you're probably laughing out loud. :)

When did Pandora.com come into existance? I am so thrilled I now know how to use it! But, if it hadn't been for my lovely sister-in-law, Rachel, I would still be in the dark. Even this last weekend when I was in Illinois, Tedd and Rachel gave me further instructions on how to enjoy my 'stations' even more. I now know what a 'seed' is and I love this music service so much, I'm thinking about buying a year-long membership so I can leave it on all the time. Aw, technology!

Just the other day, I went to Snapfish.com and uploaded lots of pictures on their site. Since I am a new customer, I was able to choose 50 free prints and they should be here any day now. I was telling someone about Snapfish and how cool it is, but I couldn't come up with the name. Was it Snapfly? Snapfrog? From the other room, Greg says, 'Didn't it have "fish" in the name?' Oh yeah, that's it. Snapfish. I can't wait for my free prints to come, I plan on scrapbooking them. There is also Shutterfly, which is probably why I wanted to call it "SnapFLY." But, anyway, how long have there been sites like this that you could upload your photos and buy prints for very cheap? I'm thrilled I know about it now. lol

I could go on and on about the things I have been missing out on. Thankfully, I am still a proud user of Ebay and Amazon. But now there is Etsy.com that I seriously need to explore. I'd also like to do more blogging and reading other people's blogs. I need to learn how to make mine better. Are there any 'aps' for blogs? I'd like to learn how to edit it more, add more pictures throughout the text, etc. My limited knowledge is getting me through, but some day I'd like to know more.

And just when I get around to it, we'll have other technologies to explore. Did you know there is such a thing called the Wii? It's like playing nintendo, but you don't need a cord for your controllers. Honestly, I think we are the last family in America to not have a Wii, but that doesn't make me want to go out and buy one. You know why? They are now coming out with a gaming console that you don't need a controller at all. You are the controller. Wow. Actually, I am too cheap to buy something like that, so we will continue on playing on our game cube, as ancient as that sounds to some of you. lol It still works, so why replace it with something new, especially since our kids still really enjoy it.

No, I don't have a lot of savvy when it comes to technology, and if you think I need help in any area, or need to know about a certain website or whatever, please let me know. Because in about 2 months, I won't have time again for this sort of thing. And for the next 2 years, more and more technology is going to pass me by. But, that doesn't upset me for I am going to have my own adventures with a new little baby girl. And no technology on earth is worth trading that for.

No, I may not be very knowledgable in techy things, but ask my how to nurse, how to change a diaper, how to operate on very little sleep....well....I can pretty much teach classes on it. LOL And I am just now entering into the adventure of shuttling kids around to Karate, Ballet, sports, etc. Soon I will be an expert on that as well. I'm just glad I married a tech guy. He pretty much keeps me informed on what I need to know so that I am not completely left behind during these years I am busy with a much higher task. Thanks, Greg! Lots of Love!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful to be married to a geek. I think we balance each other out well. He deals with the technological issues, and I deal with the carseats and strollers. haha!

    Oh, and we don't have a wii either, and don't plan on getting one anytime soon. Can't justify the cost at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys should come over and play our wii with us! Not to talk you into getting one - but because they are the most family oriented games out there! We love it! Sam and I played Frogger yesterday ha ha - awesome little date in the middle of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Pandora! I've been considering getting the year subscription, too. Mainly to avoid commercials.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have a Wii, either, Cheri. I did put a Wii on Gabriel's Christmas list 'cause he saw a commercial for a game he wanted. And I feel like technology is passing me up, too. We really can't justify the cost of any of it, though. All we wanted cell phones for was for the actual phone calls...not taking pictures, not texting, not playing games. I barely have time for Facebook anymore. haha

    ReplyDelete