
Well, part of his mission has been accomplished, he went out and got a buck. And he wasn't completely alone in his adventure yesterday morning. Greg's younger sister, Rachel decided she would join him in the hunt. I'm wondering if she really knew what she was getting into. I'm impressed with her sense of adventure, getting up early, walking out in the freezing cold, sitting on the ground for who knows how long, and finally, shooting and cleaning an animal with great big brown eyes that look at you as if saying, "You can't really shoot an animal with doe eyes, right?" But, she witnessed it all and I'm impressed. Way to go, Rachel!
They were only sitting out in the wilderness for an hour when this unsuspecting buck came along. Poor creature had no way of knowing it was opening day of shot gun season. Perhaps he hadn't even heard any shots yet. And these animals are supposedly color blind and that's why the hunters can wear blaze orange. He didn't smell Greg, didn't hear him, and didn't see him. That's why Greg is such a good hunter. He's very patient, very calm, and very quiet.
Speaking of Greg's patience, it is a trait I have admired, and sometimes been impatient with over the years. He carries this quality of being able to wait into every area of his life. He has taught me a great deal of patience and how it often pays off in the end.
ANYWAY, Greg is out hunting again today trying to fill his other tag, and my kids are excited to see all Dad brings home. I know once he gets home, I will be busy processing and storing away meat in our deep freezer. Some people wonder how I can do that while pregnant, since there is a smell to it. I really haven't noticed a difference in how it affects me, pregnant or not. I am thrilled he's bringing home some meat, knowing I won't have to buy beef for at least a year. :) And it's healthier too. One day I will blog about all I'm learning as far as nutrition goes, but for now you can just know I am thrilled to not have to buy hormone filled meat.

No comments:
Post a Comment